The concern for the good order and the ideal weight makes people opt for unbalanced and restrictive diets that do not provide the necessary power. Other common health problems, such as high cholesterol , are other good reasons why people are looking for a healthy diet . But why opt for a diet that, despite the quick results, makes us feel tired and get back to the old weight? This is where I present something highly valuedby nutritionists: food reeducation .
Food re-education: what is it?
This concept is enduring, with consistent results at weight level (ie without the horrible “yo-yo effect”) and with improvements in health and healthy living habits . Promising, right? In a very simple way, food re-education is a process of changing eating habits that teaches the individual to eat well and healthy, without having to say a definite “goodbye” to some of the foods he likes. And because no one is equal to anyone, whether the food reeducation or a food plan, must be personalized.
On the other hand, while in the so-called “diets” there is no change of behavior and people return to the old habits, in the reeducation food changes that occur end up becoming part of the routine of the person. This process can have several goals : loss / gain of weight, control of cholesterol, glucose or even prevention of certain diseases. We must not forget that a balanced diet with healthy recipes and adapted to each of us influences very positively our quality of life. If you feel that it is time to change, but you do not know where to start, here are some tips.
Basic tips for food re-education
1) Drink water instead of juices and soft drinks
If you have a habit of drinking juice and soda, replace it with water. This is the only liquid essential to the proper functioning of your body (as you already know!).
2) Eat breads other than white
Exchange the white bread for bread , rye, seed … the darker the better!
3) Avoid the sugar
Bet on cereals without added sugar; and reduce the sugar you put in coffee and tea. The palate is also educated!
4) Swap fat products for lean
If you like yogurt, opt for the lean and sugar-reduced version and say goodbye to the fried!
5) Eat more fruit
If you do not miss a dessert at the end of lunch or dinner, use the fruit: in addition to sweet, provides fiber and vitamins;
6) Stop eating bread during meals
Is bread present for lunch and dinner? If you have rice, pasta or potatoes, you do not need it!
7) Make the garden your ally
Include the vegetables in your food in the form of soups and salads!
On the other hand, if you already have this kind of care, you can move on to the next level of food re-education.
Advanced tips for food re-education
1) Choose white meat
Ingest more fish and white meats (chicken, duck, turkey and goose) instead of red meats, they have less fat .
2) Say goodbye to cooking oils
Swap food oils with “healthy” fats like olive oil, coconut oil and avocado. The nuts and their butters (without the addition of another type of fat) are great snack options.
3) Opt for homemade snacks
4) Add legumes to your diet
It includes legumes more often: they are very nutritious and have a high satiating power;
5) Other tips for adapting your daily diet
- Opts for the full version of rice and pasta;
- “Peel more and unpack less” – opt for natural products ;
- Continue to drink plenty of water;
- Chews food well – digestion begins in the mouth;
- Savor your meal – this moment should be calm and relaxed.
If even then, these tips are already part of your life, so I still leave you some important points about food re-education.
Extra information on food re-education
- Includes sweet potato in your life: your carbohydrates are slower to absorb than the “normal” potato and have numerous antioxidant compounds;
- Start your day with eggs ! They are a great source of protein that you can use in pancakes or oatmeal ;
- Turn your favorite recipe into a healthier version. You can reduce the amount of butter used in that cake using coconut oil, for example.
- Decreases the amount of salt through the use of spices and herbs;
- Opts for organic production products , as far as possible;
- It gives preference to the vegetables and the fruit of the time: besides being more tasty and nutritious, they are cheaper;
- Use the label reading whenever you go shopping: through this tool we can understand what kind of products we will buy. It is not to say light or diet that should be included in our diet;
- Consult a nutritionist – he will know what will help you in any of the phases!
Basic food plan for food re-education
Healthy eating also takes place for a dessert or a glass of wine on a special occasion, balance is the key . So here is an example of what your food day might be like.
There are other options that I could have used in this example, but as I’ve covered in the extra information, consulting a dietitian is the ideal before starting any food plan. Above all, it is necessary to customize each dietto fit according to the profile and state of health of each person.